Plum Grove Is a Proud Leader in Green Friendly Printing
In 2008 the Illinois Department of Natural Resources honored Plum Grove Printers with the Governor's Pollution Prevention Award, the state of Illinois' highest award for green-friendly sustainable business. The award recognizes Plum Grove for its innovative achievements in protecting the environment with sustainable manufacturing.
Plum Grove Printers uses a 20-point program to reduce waste and increase sustainability through each aspect of production.
- 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. These tree farms not only ensure a sustainable, ongoing paper supply but also assure the land they use will remain undeveloped commercially.
- Our plant is powered using 100% renewable wind power.
- We offset 100% of our paper use with donations to the Nature Conservancy to protect old growth forests.
- We recycle tons and tons of paper every month. Frankly, it is a lot of work and effort, with a buy-back revenue stream that covers only a small fraction of the cost. That's OK, though, because we believe it to be a very valuable effort.
- We use a huge selection of quality recycled paper stock.
- We use biodegradable inks and toners that are recyclable.
- We use chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, biodegradable, and recyclable. They are often more expensive, but we consider these products to be a wise investment.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the use of all raw materials.
- A very important way we urge our customers to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our digital/Internet ordering, proofing, and reordering system. Use of our digital ordering system enables all of us to save substantial amounts of gasoline and other raw materials.
- If you have suggestions about other ways we could further limit our environmental impact, please call us with your ideas.